PHOENIX — Police said a little girl was at a Valley hospital in stable condition Friday morning after she was shot in the leg when a gun went off at home.
Sgt. Vince Lewis said the child got a hold of her parents’ 9mm handgun, which was kept unlocked and in a bag in their bedroom. Three other children under the age of 7 were also in the house near 18th Street and Baseline Road.
No one else was injured.
It was unclear whether one or both parents will face charges.
“It was early in the morning, (children) getting ready for school … The 5-year-old slipped away when the shot was heard,” Lewis said.
The mother was applying pressure to the gunshot wound when emergency crews arrived.
- Hawaii-bound American Airlines flight forced back to Phoenix
- Phoenix needs more bottled water to help battle summer heat
- Phoenix City Council votes to look at other designs for light-rail expansion
- Grocery chain Safeway closing two Phoenix-area stores
- US Marshals in Phoenix warn of nationwide phone scam