PHOENIX — Police said a little girl was at a Valley hospital in stable condition Friday morning after she was shot in the leg when a gun went off at home.
Sgt. Vince Lewis said the child got a hold of her parents’ 9mm handgun, which was kept unlocked and in a bag in their bedroom. Three other children under the age of 7 were also in the house near 18th Street and Baseline Road.
No one else was injured.
It was unclear whether one or both parents will face charges.
“It was early in the morning, (children) getting ready for school … The 5-year-old slipped away when the shot was heard,” Lewis said.
The mother was applying pressure to the gunshot wound when emergency crews arrived.
- Phoenix-based marijuana company plans to turn town into pot resort
- Phoenix is fastest-warming city in US, meteorologist says
- U2 returns to Arizona for 30th anniversary ‘Joshua Tree’ concert
- Arizona prosecutor outlines case as Morris twins’ assault trial begins
- Art of Ice Cream Experience coming to Scottsdale in November