Former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods said he supports an immigration bill being proposed by a group of U.S. senators.
“They’ve done a tremendous job and both Sen. McCain and Sen. Flake deserve a lot of credit for this,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck on Friday.
When it comes to handling all the different facets of immigrants, Woods feels the group of senators, known as the Gang of Eight, are right on track.
“The system is broken right now across the board. It’s not just immigrants from Mexico coming here illegally. We educate the best and brightest from around the world in our colleges and we don’t give them incentive to stay.”
He also said that the five-year path to citizenship for DREAMers and farm workers is a good idea.
“Everybody says, ‘Americans will do those jobs,’ but they won’t, they don’t,” said Woods. “Our farms need those workers.”
By registering those workers, Woods said the U.S. would move to ensure their wages are fair.
The bill creates a new status of immigrant, the registered provisional immigrant. Those people will not be considered citizens, but Woods said it will help the millions of undocumented illegals come out of the shadows.
“You don’t have to be afraid Sheriff Joe Arpaio is going to pull you over because you made an illegal right hand turn on a red light. It allows people to have a life.”
Woods said the senators need to act soon to pass the bill considering the House may look to delay and debate it.
“You need some momentum to get things done otherwise you don’t get things done,” he said. “They fade away.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.