Former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods said he supports an immigration bill being proposed by a group of U.S. senators.
“They’ve done a tremendous job and both Sen. McCain and Sen. Flake deserve a lot of credit for this,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck on Friday.
When it comes to handling all the different facets of immigrants, Woods feels the group of senators, known as the Gang of Eight, are right on track.
“The system is broken right now across the board. It’s not just immigrants from Mexico coming here illegally. We educate the best and brightest from around the world in our colleges and we don’t give them incentive to stay.”
He also said that the five-year path to citizenship for DREAMers and farm workers is a good idea.
“Everybody says, ‘Americans will do those jobs,’ but they won’t, they don’t,” said Woods. “Our farms need those workers.”
By registering those workers, Woods said the U.S. would move to ensure their wages are fair.
The bill creates a new status of immigrant, the registered provisional immigrant. Those people will not be considered citizens, but Woods said it will help the millions of undocumented illegals come out of the shadows.
“You don’t have to be afraid Sheriff Joe Arpaio is going to pull you over because you made an illegal right hand turn on a red light. It allows people to have a life.”
Woods said the senators need to act soon to pass the bill considering the House may look to delay and debate it.
“You need some momentum to get things done otherwise you don’t get things done,” he said. “They fade away.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development