A Moon Valley student is in critical condition after an attempted suicide late Monday night.
Around 9 p.m. Phoenix police received a call that a person was standing by the pull-up bars and was seen by a school custodian, according to police spokesman James Holmes.
The custodian thought it was suspicious for someone to be there at that time of night and upon getting a closer look decided to call the police.
The 18-year-old was transported to a local hospital where he is currently under care.
The school is on schedule as usual with professional counselors on campus if needed.
There is no indication of foul play.
The following letter was sent to parents Tuesday afternoon.
Dear Moon Valley Parents and Guardians,
Our administration team felt it was important to inform you of a recent event that happened on campus. Late Monday night, a student returned to school and attempted to take their own life. Paramedics were called and the student was rushed to a local hospital. Currently, the student is listed in critical condition.
Counselors, social workers, and other professionals are available to students, faculty, and staff members today and tomorrow, in order to help them process this recent event. Additional resources will continually be available through our social worker’s office.
Our thoughts are with the student and family at this time. Out of respect for the family’s privacy, we will not be releasing any further information.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona