A Moon Valley student is in critical condition after an attempted suicide late Monday night.
Around 9 p.m. Phoenix police received a call that a person was standing by the pull-up bars and was seen by a school custodian, according to police spokesman James Holmes.
The custodian thought it was suspicious for someone to be there at that time of night and upon getting a closer look decided to call the police.
The 18-year-old was transported to a local hospital where he is currently under care.
The school is on schedule as usual with professional counselors on campus if needed.
There is no indication of foul play.
The following letter was sent to parents Tuesday afternoon.
Dear Moon Valley Parents and Guardians,
Our administration team felt it was important to inform you of a recent event that happened on campus. Late Monday night, a student returned to school and attempted to take their own life. Paramedics were called and the student was rushed to a local hospital. Currently, the student is listed in critical condition.
Counselors, social workers, and other professionals are available to students, faculty, and staff members today and tomorrow, in order to help them process this recent event. Additional resources will continually be available through our social worker’s office.
Our thoughts are with the student and family at this time. Out of respect for the family’s privacy, we will not be releasing any further information.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl