A Moon Valley student is in critical condition after an attempted suicide late Monday night.
Around 9 p.m. Phoenix police received a call that a person was standing by the pull-up bars and was seen by a school custodian, according to police spokesman James Holmes.
The custodian thought it was suspicious for someone to be there at that time of night and upon getting a closer look decided to call the police.
The 18-year-old was transported to a local hospital where he is currently under care.
The school is on schedule as usual with professional counselors on campus if needed.
There is no indication of foul play.
The following letter was sent to parents Tuesday afternoon.
Dear Moon Valley Parents and Guardians,
Our administration team felt it was important to inform you of a recent event that happened on campus. Late Monday night, a student returned to school and attempted to take their own life. Paramedics were called and the student was rushed to a local hospital. Currently, the student is listed in critical condition.
Counselors, social workers, and other professionals are available to students, faculty, and staff members today and tomorrow, in order to help them process this recent event. Additional resources will continually be available through our social worker’s office.
Our thoughts are with the student and family at this time. Out of respect for the family’s privacy, we will not be releasing any further information.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development