A Moon Valley student is in critical condition after an attempted suicide late Monday night.
Around 9 p.m. Phoenix police received a call that a person was standing by the pull-up bars and was seen by a school custodian, according to police spokesman James Holmes.
The custodian thought it was suspicious for someone to be there at that time of night and upon getting a closer look decided to call the police.
The 18-year-old was transported to a local hospital where he is currently under care.
The school is on schedule as usual with professional counselors on campus if needed.
There is no indication of foul play.
The following letter was sent to parents Tuesday afternoon.
Dear Moon Valley Parents and Guardians,
Our administration team felt it was important to inform you of a recent event that happened on campus. Late Monday night, a student returned to school and attempted to take their own life. Paramedics were called and the student was rushed to a local hospital. Currently, the student is listed in critical condition.
Counselors, social workers, and other professionals are available to students, faculty, and staff members today and tomorrow, in order to help them process this recent event. Additional resources will continually be available through our social worker’s office.
Our thoughts are with the student and family at this time. Out of respect for the family’s privacy, we will not be releasing any further information.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food