Two Marine helicopters airlifted toys and food to the Havasupai tribe on Dec 3.
The food and toys are airlifted to the tribe because they live at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
Operation Supai, as the tradition is known, is carried out annually by Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 764, who, despite being based out of Edwards Air Force Base in California, fly out of Grand Canyon Airport for the special mission.
“The support [Arizona Department of Transportation] provides is invaluable,” said Major Charles Nunally, executive officer and helicopter pilot for the squadron in a release. “Without the support of the airport, we wouldn’t be able to do this mission.”
HMM-764 partners with the Flagstaff Marine Toys for Tots and St. Mary’s Food Bank to bring 150 bags of toys and 100 boxes of food to the tribe every year.
This is the biggest day of the year for the tribe,” said Rick Wiselus, a Toys for Tots volunteer and board member on the Marine Corps League Charities in a release. “The smiles on the kids’ faces are heartwarming.”
Operation Supai has been on-going since 1995.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night