Two Marine helicopters airlifted toys and food to the Havasupai tribe on Dec 3.
The food and toys are airlifted to the tribe because they live at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
Operation Supai, as the tradition is known, is carried out annually by Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 764, who, despite being based out of Edwards Air Force Base in California, fly out of Grand Canyon Airport for the special mission.
“The support [Arizona Department of Transportation] provides is invaluable,” said Major Charles Nunally, executive officer and helicopter pilot for the squadron in a release. “Without the support of the airport, we wouldn’t be able to do this mission.”
HMM-764 partners with the Flagstaff Marine Toys for Tots and St. Mary’s Food Bank to bring 150 bags of toys and 100 boxes of food to the tribe every year.
This is the biggest day of the year for the tribe,” said Rick Wiselus, a Toys for Tots volunteer and board member on the Marine Corps League Charities in a release. “The smiles on the kids’ faces are heartwarming.”
Operation Supai has been on-going since 1995.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.