Two Marine helicopters airlifted toys and food to the Havasupai tribe on Dec 3.
The food and toys are airlifted to the tribe because they live at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
Operation Supai, as the tradition is known, is carried out annually by Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 764, who, despite being based out of Edwards Air Force Base in California, fly out of Grand Canyon Airport for the special mission.
“The support [Arizona Department of Transportation] provides is invaluable,” said Major Charles Nunally, executive officer and helicopter pilot for the squadron in a release. “Without the support of the airport, we wouldn’t be able to do this mission.”
HMM-764 partners with the Flagstaff Marine Toys for Tots and St. Mary’s Food Bank to bring 150 bags of toys and 100 boxes of food to the tribe every year.
This is the biggest day of the year for the tribe,” said Rick Wiselus, a Toys for Tots volunteer and board member on the Marine Corps League Charities in a release. “The smiles on the kids’ faces are heartwarming.”
Operation Supai has been on-going since 1995.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development