GLENDALE, Ariz. — Outgoing Arizona Lawmaker and Glendale Mayor-elect Jerry Weiers has a lot of experience dealing with a budget crisis.
Arizona had a multi-billion dollar deficit during the recession. When Weiers takes office in Glendale in January, the city will have a $1.2 billion deficit, including $200 million for the Camelback Ranch spring training home of the Chicago White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers.
“That is not money that’s owed tomorrow,” said Weiers. “It’s not. The city is working on refinancing the debt and will be able to save millions of dollars with lower interest rates.”
The city council bumped the sales tax rate from 2.2 percent to 2.9 percent last summer, the highest city sales tax in Arizona. On Tuesday, voters kept that in place through 2017. Many believe the sales tax is designed to keep the Phoenix Coyotes hockey team in the Valley.
“I would love to see the Coyotes stay, but we’re not going to be their cash register,” said Weiers.
Weiers is very concerned that a lot of businesses don’t want to open up new stores in Glendale because of the high city sales tax and property tax rates, but he’s upbeat about the future.
“This nation is at the crossroads of things starting to get better. When people start believing in their city leaders and know that we’ll do everything possible to put less restriction on businesses, we will see new growth in the West Valley and we could be out of this problem in two to three years. That’s certainly my goal.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.