GLENDALE, Ariz. — Outgoing Arizona Lawmaker and Glendale Mayor-elect Jerry Weiers has a lot of experience dealing with a budget crisis.
Arizona had a multi-billion dollar deficit during the recession. When Weiers takes office in Glendale in January, the city will have a $1.2 billion deficit, including $200 million for the Camelback Ranch spring training home of the Chicago White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers.
“That is not money that’s owed tomorrow,” said Weiers. “It’s not. The city is working on refinancing the debt and will be able to save millions of dollars with lower interest rates.”
The city council bumped the sales tax rate from 2.2 percent to 2.9 percent last summer, the highest city sales tax in Arizona. On Tuesday, voters kept that in place through 2017. Many believe the sales tax is designed to keep the Phoenix Coyotes hockey team in the Valley.
“I would love to see the Coyotes stay, but we’re not going to be their cash register,” said Weiers.
Weiers is very concerned that a lot of businesses don’t want to open up new stores in Glendale because of the high city sales tax and property tax rates, but he’s upbeat about the future.
“This nation is at the crossroads of things starting to get better. When people start believing in their city leaders and know that we’ll do everything possible to put less restriction on businesses, we will see new growth in the West Valley and we could be out of this problem in two to three years. That’s certainly my goal.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life