GLENDALE, Ariz. — Outgoing Arizona Lawmaker and Glendale Mayor-elect Jerry Weiers has a lot of experience dealing with a budget crisis.
Arizona had a multi-billion dollar deficit during the recession. When Weiers takes office in Glendale in January, the city will have a $1.2 billion deficit, including $200 million for the Camelback Ranch spring training home of the Chicago White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers.
“That is not money that’s owed tomorrow,” said Weiers. “It’s not. The city is working on refinancing the debt and will be able to save millions of dollars with lower interest rates.”
The city council bumped the sales tax rate from 2.2 percent to 2.9 percent last summer, the highest city sales tax in Arizona. On Tuesday, voters kept that in place through 2017. Many believe the sales tax is designed to keep the Phoenix Coyotes hockey team in the Valley.
“I would love to see the Coyotes stay, but we’re not going to be their cash register,” said Weiers.
Weiers is very concerned that a lot of businesses don’t want to open up new stores in Glendale because of the high city sales tax and property tax rates, but he’s upbeat about the future.
“This nation is at the crossroads of things starting to get better. When people start believing in their city leaders and know that we’ll do everything possible to put less restriction on businesses, we will see new growth in the West Valley and we could be out of this problem in two to three years. That’s certainly my goal.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them