Every child needs a strong male figure in their life and one Arizona organization is working to make sure those men are prepared for the responsibility.
Phoenix-based organization Father Matters aims to give fathers in socially- and economically-deprived communities a strong mentor in their lives and teach them how to become a mentor of their own.
Vance Simms, a life coach, founded the group in 1997, after Simms noticed the “tremendous need” for fathering, according to the organization’s website.
Simms grew up without his father and wanted to be a presence in the lives of his own five children.
The organization does not just target men: Father Matters is dedicated to providing tools to women in order to improve the well-being in their homes and communities.
Bruce St. James & Pamela Hughes
- 3 killed, 2 seriously hurt in rollover crash on Phoenix street
- Officials to kick off expansion process on I-10 between Phoenix, Casa Grande
- Phoenix intersection reopens after sinkhole causes weeks-long closure
- Arizona native David Spade to perform on Copper Blues Live opening day
- Pomo Pizzeria in downtown Phoenix to reopen with new look, menu