‘Bruce and Pamela’ listeners named this the ‘Crazy AZ’ story of 2019
PHOENIX — We asked you to give us this year’s craziest Arizona story, and you delivered.
KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Bruce St. James and Pamela Hughes Show listeners voted on eight stories throughout the week.
After four days of narrowing down the bracket, the winner was … “Arizona police arrest 70-year-old traveling with wife’s dead body.”
Don’t remember that one? Here’s a recap:
CRAZY AZ STORY OF THE YEARUpside Down Naked Wife – A man was arrested after a drive-thru employee spotted his deceased…
A fast food restaurant employee told an Eloy police officer May 13 that a vehicle with two nude people had used the drive-thru.
Later that day, Rodney Puckett, 70, of Oklahoma was pulled over on Interstate 10.
Police found Puckett only wearing his underwear, while his dead wife was naked and upside-down in the passenger seat.
Sgt. Krisie Barnette told KTAR News that Puckett told officers that he and his wife were on a road trip to California when she died at a hotel in Texas.
Police said that surveillance footage showed the couple walking into the room.
They said Puckett is seen the next day using a luggage cart to move his wife’s body.
Media reports from Tulsa, Oklahoma, said a Silver Alert had been issued for Puckett, but he wasn’t missing — he had been arrested in Kansas for eluding police.
He was sentenced to 15 days in prison in November for concealing a dead body.
The Casa Grande Dispatch reported the county medical examiner determined Puckett’s wife died from heart disease.
Here were the other options in the Bruce & Pamela poll:
- Hacienda HealthCare scandal
- Creepy DPS trooper
- Dravon Ames viral video
- Country assessor adoption scheme
- Four dead dolphins at Dolphinaris
- Lewis Prison door locks don’t work
- David Stringer accused of child rape
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Bruce St. James & Pamela Hughes
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Hacienda HealthCare to keep its state license, Medicaid contract
- Former Rep. David Stringer to run for Yavapai County Attorney
- Hacienda patient who had baby after rape sues state of Arizona, doctors
- Here are the most-read stories on KTAR.com for 2019
- Prison whistleblower wants Ducey to be more involved with broken locks