Every child needs a strong male figure in their life and one Arizona organization is working to make sure those men are prepared for the responsibility.
Phoenix-based organization Father Matters aims to give fathers in socially- and economically-deprived communities a strong mentor in their lives and teach them how to become a mentor of their own.
Vance Simms, a life coach, founded the group in 1997, after Simms noticed the “tremendous need” for fathering, according to the organization’s website.
Simms grew up without his father and wanted to be a presence in the lives of his own five children.
The organization does not just target men: Father Matters is dedicated to providing tools to women in order to improve the well-being in their homes and communities.
- Monsoon rains flood parts of Flagstaff, high heat to return to Phoenix area
- Suspect from Phoenix officer-involved shooting in custody, police say
- Southbound I-17 reopened at Indian School Road after police incident
- Downtown Donut Festival to be held in Phoenix in November
- Mac is back: Best Phoenix-area spots for National Mac and Cheese Day