They’ve been patrolling our streets for 18 years, but they’re calling it quits. The Ridge Runner Phoenix Neighborhood Patrol covered a few square miles in north Phoenix as part of the Phoenix Police Neighborhood Patrol Program.
“We’ve just worn down to where we didn’t have enough people to cover any given month,” said Jean Latimer. “And so we just said, ‘Well, okay, it’s time to hang it up.'”
The group patrolled a few square miles near Cave Creek and 7th Street since 1997. Black Mountain Precinct Commander Joe Klima says citizen involvement is what makes Phoenix safer.
“These folks here are one of the best examples of that, where they’ve (been) involved in their community for many, many years,” Kilma said. “It’s just taking a little moment to say ‘thank you,’ and ‘you’ve made a difference.'”
Phoenix Police thanked the group today with a video presentation from Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia. According to police estimates, the volunteer hours and miles the Ridge Runner group logged equate to around $740,000 in man hours. The group asked for nothing in return.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development