On Wednesday, KTAR’s Mac and Gaydos spoke with Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton on the issues of gun control and Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s posses.
Arpaio wishes to put armed posses outside of local schools and plans to host a training event with actor Steven Seagal this weekend to prepare and educate interested volunteers.
“The idea that you have armed posses outside of schools is not something that I support,” Stanton stressed. “But, I do support more attempt to get resource officers in schools not just from a safety perspective but also because the incredible benefit that those resource officers provide to children in terms of education and in terms of a trusting relationship.”
While Arpaio favors more protection in and around schools, Stanton stated that he had a much different concern regarding the national gun crisis.
“We can’t just do nothing, but we’ve got to be smart about it,” said Stanton. “In my opinion, being smart about it involves not a single approach or a one-size-fits-all one things gonna solve the worlds problems we have to be smart about it and that why a more com approach which includes by the way one of the most difficult issues our so has to approach how do we better manage the mental health system.”
Although Stanton admitted that fixing the mental health care system won’t be an easy task, he remains a firm believer that it’s a necessary action when dealing with the country’s gun issue.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.