You live in the desert – and so do scorpions. It is estimated that the Arizona desert is home to three scorpions for every 10 square feet. Fewer live in busy neighborhoods.
If you have any kind of insects in and around your home, you’ve got scorpions.
You can drag them into your house when you pick up a blanket, a box or your shoes that have been left on the ground outside. Look for them when you pick up those items.
Scorpions have poor eyesight, so they hide during the day and come out at night. They like to hide under rocks, your patio and your foundation.
1. Keep them away by keeping trash, boards, bricks and stones far away from your house.
2. Mow your grass closely, and keep bushes and trees near the house pruned so they don’t touch the walls.
3. Trim tree branches that hang over your roof. Scorpions can drop from the branches onto your roof, where they’ll find cracks and crevices that lead to your attic.
4. Keep your firewood outdoors until you’re ready to burn it.
5. Keep window screens secure and free of holes
6. Don’t let your kids keep scorpions as pets. They can be poisonous.
7. If you want to use a pesticide to kill them, buy a product that specifically says it kills scorpions. Some formulations are better for these pests than others.
8. Even better: Call a pest-control professional, who can bring a higher-strength product to your home than anything you can buy at a home or garden store.
For additional information on how to control scorpions visit “Is it Possible to Get these Scorpions out of my House?” from Blue Sky Pest Control.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon