All right, tell the truth. You kept score Sunday night during the Academy Awards show didn’t you?
Some of your favorites lost. That film you hated won. It’s the Kentucky Derby with borrowed jewelry.
The Oscar race is now so competitive, so universally watched, that it’s got a special place with Vegas wagering. But no matter what you thought of the Academy’s choices or whether host Seth MacFarlane is the new Johnny Carson or simply a black-tie Beavis and Butthead, the question that needs to be asked is: What did you learn from the movies of 2013?
The lesson to be learned from “The Life of Pi” is fairly clear: It is far less dangerous to be alone on a raft with a Bengal tiger than to travel anywhere on Carnival cruise lines.
“Lincoln” proved that all humans are created equal, with the exception of Congress.
If you saw “Silver Linings Playbook,” you arrived at this profound conclusion: If you want to wind up with the sexiest man of the year, sleep with everyone in the office.
And finally, the moral of “Les Miserables:” If you want a loaf of bread, for God’s sake, just go to Safeway.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain