You tell ME the difference: Two protests. Two groups of protesters. Two completely different responses.
What is happening in Ferguson, Missouri is disgusting on a variety of levels. The shooting of an unarmed citizen and the rioting and looting in response to it have become a sad chapter in American history. But we have a proud tradition of protesting our Government, a tradition that is protected by the Constitution of the United States.
In the past year we have seen at least two major demonstrations against perceived Government overreach, Ferguson and Cliven Bundy’s ranch, and the response to the protesters has been dramatically different.
The pictures below illustrate the point that HOW police deal with groups of demonstrators appears to be driven by a few factors.
Am I to believe that if ALL protesters were armed (as many were at the Bundy ranch), the police would have a more measured response? Am I to believe the race of the protesters, or police, is a factor in the strategy to deal with them? Or am I to believe that the way we enforce the law in the inner city is completely different from how we enforce the law in the rural areas?
It seems that all of these factors play into the relationship between protesters and law enforcement, and I’d argue that is a problem. The bigger issue is the message these two pictures send to anyone with a grievance against their Government.
Bring a gun.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.