You tell ME the difference: Two protests. Two groups of protesters. Two completely different responses.
What is happening in Ferguson, Missouri is disgusting on a variety of levels. The shooting of an unarmed citizen and the rioting and looting in response to it have become a sad chapter in American history. But we have a proud tradition of protesting our Government, a tradition that is protected by the Constitution of the United States.
In the past year we have seen at least two major demonstrations against perceived Government overreach, Ferguson and Cliven Bundy’s ranch, and the response to the protesters has been dramatically different.
The pictures below illustrate the point that HOW police deal with groups of demonstrators appears to be driven by a few factors.
Am I to believe that if ALL protesters were armed (as many were at the Bundy ranch), the police would have a more measured response? Am I to believe the race of the protesters, or police, is a factor in the strategy to deal with them? Or am I to believe that the way we enforce the law in the inner city is completely different from how we enforce the law in the rural areas?
It seems that all of these factors play into the relationship between protesters and law enforcement, and I’d argue that is a problem. The bigger issue is the message these two pictures send to anyone with a grievance against their Government.
Bring a gun.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon