Former President of South Africa Nelson Mandela, one of the world’s greatest and most admired political figures, died Thursday at his Johannesburg-area home.
Current President Jacob Zuma said of the icon, “We’ve lost our greatest son.”
Friend and family had gathered at Mandela’s bedside earlier this week. A daughter had said the 95-year-old was on his deathbed a few days ago.
The anti-apartheid leader had been in failing health off and on in recent years. The first black president of South Africa, who spent nearly 30 years in prison because of his political activism, had suffered through kidney and lung issues, pneumonia and prostate cancer.
Mandela devoted himself to the fight against apartheid leading the African National Congress. He was convicted of treason and sentenced to life in prison in 1964. His incarceration led to fame as a political prisoner.
He was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.
President Barack Obama said, “We have lost one of the most influential, courageous and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with” and that Mandela was proof to “never discount the difference one person can make.”
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was born July 18, 1918, the son of a tribal chief in
Transkei, one of the future “Bantustans,” independent republics set up by the
apartheid regime to cement the separation of whites and blacks.
He is survived by his third wife Graca Machel; his daughter Makaziwe by his first marriage, and
daughters Zindzi and Zenani by his second wife, Winnie Madikizela, who became a well-known political crusader in her own right.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon