Former President of South Africa Nelson Mandela, one of the world’s greatest and most admired political figures, died Thursday at his Johannesburg-area home.
Current President Jacob Zuma said of the icon, “We’ve lost our greatest son.”
Friend and family had gathered at Mandela’s bedside earlier this week. A daughter had said the 95-year-old was on his deathbed a few days ago.
The anti-apartheid leader had been in failing health off and on in recent years. The first black president of South Africa, who spent nearly 30 years in prison because of his political activism, had suffered through kidney and lung issues, pneumonia and prostate cancer.
Mandela devoted himself to the fight against apartheid leading the African National Congress. He was convicted of treason and sentenced to life in prison in 1964. His incarceration led to fame as a political prisoner.
He was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.
President Barack Obama said, “We have lost one of the most influential, courageous and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with” and that Mandela was proof to “never discount the difference one person can make.”
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was born July 18, 1918, the son of a tribal chief in
Transkei, one of the future “Bantustans,” independent republics set up by the
apartheid regime to cement the separation of whites and blacks.
He is survived by his third wife Graca Machel; his daughter Makaziwe by his first marriage, and
daughters Zindzi and Zenani by his second wife, Winnie Madikizela, who became a well-known political crusader in her own right.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night