Former President of South Africa Nelson Mandela, one of the world’s greatest and most admired political figures, died Thursday at his Johannesburg-area home.
Current President Jacob Zuma said of the icon, “We’ve lost our greatest son.”
Friend and family had gathered at Mandela’s bedside earlier this week. A daughter had said the 95-year-old was on his deathbed a few days ago.
The anti-apartheid leader had been in failing health off and on in recent years. The first black president of South Africa, who spent nearly 30 years in prison because of his political activism, had suffered through kidney and lung issues, pneumonia and prostate cancer.
Mandela devoted himself to the fight against apartheid leading the African National Congress. He was convicted of treason and sentenced to life in prison in 1964. His incarceration led to fame as a political prisoner.
He was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.
President Barack Obama said, “We have lost one of the most influential, courageous and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with” and that Mandela was proof to “never discount the difference one person can make.”
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was born July 18, 1918, the son of a tribal chief in
Transkei, one of the future “Bantustans,” independent republics set up by the
apartheid regime to cement the separation of whites and blacks.
He is survived by his third wife Graca Machel; his daughter Makaziwe by his first marriage, and
daughters Zindzi and Zenani by his second wife, Winnie Madikizela, who became a well-known political crusader in her own right.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever