Trump adviser says he will pass on pursuing charges against Hillary Clinton
A top adviser to President-elect Donald Trump said Tuesday that he would no longer push for an investigation or charges against Hillary Clinton for use of a private email server.
Kellyanne Conway, former campaign manager for Trump, told MSNBC that the president-elect felt Clinton had been through enough.
“I think when the President-elect, who’s also the head of your party, tells you before he’s even inaugurated that he doesn’t wish to pursue these charges, it sends a very strong message, tone, and content to the members,” Conway said on “Morning Joe.”
Conway is senior adviser to the transition team.
During the campaign, Trump repeatedly said his Democratic rival would face charges were he to become president and that she belonged in jail, calling for a special prosecutor to be assigned to the case.
“If Donald Trump can help her heal, perhaps that’s a good thing,” Conway said.
The FBI has closed the email investigation but was looking into the Clinton Foundation over concerns that foreign donors expected favors in return from the government once Clinton was in office.
Trump will not explore that, either.
Last week, Trump told CBS’ “60 Minutes” he wanted to think about whether to look more into Clinton’s email server.
The Republican billionaire said she did some bad things but “didn’t want to hurt them” and he preferred to focus on other things.
- Similar Republican candidates vie for former Rep. Trent Franks’ seat
- Russians charged with meddling in 2016 presidential race
- Flake wouldn’t impeach Trump, but says his actions are bad for US
- Romney makes it official: He’s running for Utah Senate seat
- More than 150 animals seized from Phoenix boarding facility