LOS ANGELES (AP) – A man awaiting retrial after two murder convictions were overturned has been charged in three other killings linked to the so-called “Skid Row Stabber.”
Bobby Joe Maxwell, 63, was charged with murder in three cases dating back to the 1970s, according to Los Angeles County grand jury indictments unsealed Tuesday. The original juries in those cases deadlocked in 1984.
Maxwell has already been awaiting retrial in two other murder cases after those convictions were overturned by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The U.S. Supreme Court refused to restore those convictions.
Maxwell was accused of killing 10 transients in Los Angeles in 1978 and 1979. Jurors convicted him of two murders, acquitted him of three and deadlocked on five of the charges. He has been in prison for more than 30 years.
But the appeals court found that he was the victim of a notorious jailhouse snitch who committed perjury in his two convictions, and overturned the verdicts in Maxwell’s trial.
His new trial on charges alleging he killed David M. Jones, 39, and Frank Garcia, 45, must proceed on other evidence.
The informant was Sidney Storch, who was at the center of a scandal involving false testimony that defense lawyers said helped convict 225 defendants. Storch has since died.
The Supreme Court refused to reinstate the two convictions and a life sentence and left it to prosecutors to decide if they wanted to retry Maxwell. Prosecutors then reinstated those charges.
The new indictment reinstated charges that accuse Maxwell of murdering Jose Cortez, 32, Bruce Drake, 46, and Frank Reed, 36, in 1978.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas