LOS ANGELES (AP) – A man awaiting retrial after two murder convictions were overturned has been charged in three other killings linked to the so-called “Skid Row Stabber.”
Bobby Joe Maxwell, 63, was charged with murder in three cases dating back to the 1970s, according to Los Angeles County grand jury indictments unsealed Tuesday. The original juries in those cases deadlocked in 1984.
Maxwell has already been awaiting retrial in two other murder cases after those convictions were overturned by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The U.S. Supreme Court refused to restore those convictions.
Maxwell was accused of killing 10 transients in Los Angeles in 1978 and 1979. Jurors convicted him of two murders, acquitted him of three and deadlocked on five of the charges. He has been in prison for more than 30 years.
But the appeals court found that he was the victim of a notorious jailhouse snitch who committed perjury in his two convictions, and overturned the verdicts in Maxwell’s trial.
His new trial on charges alleging he killed David M. Jones, 39, and Frank Garcia, 45, must proceed on other evidence.
The informant was Sidney Storch, who was at the center of a scandal involving false testimony that defense lawyers said helped convict 225 defendants. Storch has since died.
The Supreme Court refused to reinstate the two convictions and a life sentence and left it to prosecutors to decide if they wanted to retry Maxwell. Prosecutors then reinstated those charges.
The new indictment reinstated charges that accuse Maxwell of murdering Jose Cortez, 32, Bruce Drake, 46, and Frank Reed, 36, in 1978.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy