WASHINGTON (AP) – The Smithsonian Institution is appointing a leading Philadelphia museum executive as the new director of the National Portrait Gallery in Washington.
Kim Sajet (Sayet), the president and CEO of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, was named to the post Tuesday. Beginning April 1, she will oversee a collection of 21,000 objects, including famous images of Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and other prominent figures in American history.
In Philadelphia, Sajet previously was deputy director of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, the nation’s oldest art museum and school. She played a lead role in the purchase of Thomas Eakins’ painting “The Gross Clinic” for a record $68 million to keep the artwork from leaving the city.
Sajet was born in Nigeria, raised in Australia and it a citizen of the Netherlands.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments