OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) – Oakland police are investigating four fatal shootings that took place in different parts of the city within six hours, the latest outbreak of violence in a city that saw 131 homicides last year.
Friday’s victims included a 17-year-old high school senior who died at the scene of the attack at around 8:15 p.m. Oakland police spokeswoman Johnna Watson blamed groups “involved in ongoing feuds” for the shootings.
The first fatal shooting involved a 22-year-old Oakland man and took place at around 2:30 p.m., The Oakland Tribune (
The second shooting was reported at around 3 p.m. when a 30-year-old Stockton man’s body was found. It’s believed the man _ identified as Larry Lovette _ was shot elsewhere in the city and his body taken to the Glenview district, police said.
Then at around 4:15 p.m., a 20-year-old Oakland man was found shot in his car in the driveway of a home. Eddiebo Rodriguez died after he was taken to a hospital, police said.
The 17-year-old _ identified by authorities as Ken Harbin _ died in an area that’s plagued by gangs and gun violence. Neighbors said they heard dozens of gunshots Friday night.
“Shooting happens out here all the time,” said Armando Ramirez, 37, who was walking by the scene of Harbin’s shooting with two small children Saturday morning. “It’s a part of life here.”
Two other people were killed earlier this week in separate shootings in the city.
Mayor Jean Quan, Police Chief Howard Jordan and several staff members discussed Friday’s shootings in a Saturday morning conference call, Quan spokesman Sean Maher said.
“We know the greater Oakland community is looking for fast action and we are putting every resource we can into making that happen,” Maher said.
The police department has 612 officers, down from more than 800 in 2009 and far short of the 925 recommended by the city’s strategic plan, Councilwoman Libby Schaaf said.
Proposals for creating a new police academy, contracting for supplemental policing from the county sheriff and enlarging the ranks of civilian Police Department employees could all come before the council this month, she said.
“Basic public safety resources are not in place,” she said. “I know we can responsibly afford new investments in public safety.”
Violent crime in Oakland rose 23 percent in 2012, prompting the city to announce last month the hiring of former New York City police commissioner and Los Angeles police chief Bill Bratton as a consultant on how to reduce crime and combat gang violence.
Bratton will be joined by noted police strategist Bob Wasserman, head of the Boston-based Strategic Policy Partnership, who has consulted many of the nation’s biggest cities on policing.
Information from: The Oakland Tribune,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.