NEW ORLEANS (AP) – New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu says construction is about to start on a $130 million hospital in eastern New Orleans. The area has been without a hospital since Hurricane Katrina flooded 80 percent of the city in August 2005.
Landrieu said in October that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development had paved the way for construction by agreeing to insure a $97.6 million loan for the hospital.
His office says the project will revitalize that area’s economy while restoring full-service health care to residents in eastern New Orleans.
Landrieu, other city officials and Archbishop Gregory Aymond had planned to attend a groundbreaking ceremony Thursday afternoon at the site. However, the mayor’s office announced late in the morning that the ceremony would be postponed until after the holidays.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.