For as long as I can remember, the citizens of Arizona have talked about the quality of education in our state and the discussions are rarely very positive.
I personally don’t think that things are going to get much better in the future if our kids watch and listen to much local media.
Now, please believe me. I’m not one of those retired English teacher-types who spends the day waiting to pounce on a mistaken use of the past pluperfect. Broadcasters are constantly walking a linguistic plank because we’re all participating in at-the-moment spontaneous conversation and that’s where all the pitfalls are.
However, when material is recorded in advance or is proofread by several people we shouldn’t hear such elementary mistakes as “They gave the information to the police and I’ or “It was sweeped away” instead of “swept,” both heard this week on the air.
If you try to count the verbal crutches “you know” and “like” in a typical sentence, it will take almost as much time as keeping track of the misspelled words in a TV newscast.
But how can we expect a command of the language on the air when, in daily life, we are all addressed as “You guys?”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy