For as long as I can remember, the citizens of Arizona have talked about the quality of education in our state and the discussions are rarely very positive.
I personally don’t think that things are going to get much better in the future if our kids watch and listen to much local media.
Now, please believe me. I’m not one of those retired English teacher-types who spends the day waiting to pounce on a mistaken use of the past pluperfect. Broadcasters are constantly walking a linguistic plank because we’re all participating in at-the-moment spontaneous conversation and that’s where all the pitfalls are.
However, when material is recorded in advance or is proofread by several people we shouldn’t hear such elementary mistakes as “They gave the information to the police and I’ or “It was sweeped away” instead of “swept,” both heard this week on the air.
If you try to count the verbal crutches “you know” and “like” in a typical sentence, it will take almost as much time as keeping track of the misspelled words in a TV newscast.
But how can we expect a command of the language on the air when, in daily life, we are all addressed as “You guys?”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.