WEST WARWICK, R.I. (AP) – Relatives and friends of the 100 people killed in a nightclub fire in Rhode Island are gathering at the site of the blaze on its 10th anniversary.
The Feb. 20, 2003, fire in West Warwick was started when pyrotechnics for the 1980s hard rock band Great White ignited flammable foam that had been installed as soundproofing.
Jessica Garvey planned to spend all day Wednesday at the site of The Station nightclub, where scores of handmade crosses dot the ground.
Garvey’s sister Dina DeMaio was a waitress at the nightclub and perished in the fire. Wednesday would have been her 40th birthday.
A foundation working to build a permanent memorial at the site held a ceremonial groundbreaking Sunday. Work is expected to start this spring.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon