WEST WARWICK, R.I. (AP) – Relatives and friends of the 100 people killed in a nightclub fire in Rhode Island are gathering at the site of the blaze on its 10th anniversary.
The Feb. 20, 2003, fire in West Warwick was started when pyrotechnics for the 1980s hard rock band Great White ignited flammable foam that had been installed as soundproofing.
Jessica Garvey planned to spend all day Wednesday at the site of The Station nightclub, where scores of handmade crosses dot the ground.
Garvey’s sister Dina DeMaio was a waitress at the nightclub and perished in the fire. Wednesday would have been her 40th birthday.
A foundation working to build a permanent memorial at the site held a ceremonial groundbreaking Sunday. Work is expected to start this spring.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns