DETROIT (AP) – Roger Schneider, a veteran editor in Wisconsin who has led The Associated Press’ news operations there for the past seven years, is moving across Lake Michigan to become the cooperative’s news editor in Michigan.
The appointment was announced Friday by David Scott, the AP’s regional editor for the central U.S.
In Wisconsin, Schneider has directed the AP’s coverage of news as varied as Gov. Scott Walker’s push to curb the union rights of state workers to this past summer’s deadly shooting at a Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee.
“Roger is an editor who has a history of working with reporters to deliver both scoops and insightful enterprise reporting based off those scoops,” Scott said. “Getting the news to AP’s customers before all others is a hallmark of our Wisconsin report under his leadership, and we’re excited to see the same in Michigan once he begins working with our staff in Detroit, Lansing and Traverse City.”
Schneider is a 1979 graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he earned a bachelor of science degree in journalism and political science. He worked as an editor at Beloit Daily News and the Green Bay Press-Gazette in Wisconsin, and the Asbury Park Press in New Jersey, before joining the AP as Wisconsin News Editor in 2005.
The addition of Schneider to the Michigan staff is the second in the past month for the AP, which recently hired reporter David Eggert to cover state government in Lansing. Both moves are signs of AP’s strong commitment to providing members of the cooperative with the best in state news, said AP’s Regional Director-East Eva Parziale.
Schneider, 55, will be based in Detroit and begin work as Michigan News Editor on Feb. 1.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them