DETROIT (AP) – Roger Schneider, a veteran editor in Wisconsin who has led The Associated Press’ news operations there for the past seven years, is moving across Lake Michigan to become the cooperative’s news editor in Michigan.
The appointment was announced Friday by David Scott, the AP’s regional editor for the central U.S.
In Wisconsin, Schneider has directed the AP’s coverage of news as varied as Gov. Scott Walker’s push to curb the union rights of state workers to this past summer’s deadly shooting at a Sikh temple in suburban Milwaukee.
“Roger is an editor who has a history of working with reporters to deliver both scoops and insightful enterprise reporting based off those scoops,” Scott said. “Getting the news to AP’s customers before all others is a hallmark of our Wisconsin report under his leadership, and we’re excited to see the same in Michigan once he begins working with our staff in Detroit, Lansing and Traverse City.”
Schneider is a 1979 graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he earned a bachelor of science degree in journalism and political science. He worked as an editor at Beloit Daily News and the Green Bay Press-Gazette in Wisconsin, and the Asbury Park Press in New Jersey, before joining the AP as Wisconsin News Editor in 2005.
The addition of Schneider to the Michigan staff is the second in the past month for the AP, which recently hired reporter David Eggert to cover state government in Lansing. Both moves are signs of AP’s strong commitment to providing members of the cooperative with the best in state news, said AP’s Regional Director-East Eva Parziale.
Schneider, 55, will be based in Detroit and begin work as Michigan News Editor on Feb. 1.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier