I rarely get angry at our congressional representatives in the House and Senate. What good would it do?
But I’m making an exception right now.
How dare they wait until the new Congress is sworn in to vote on the whole aid package for the East Coast victims of Hurricane Sandy.
If some of you think it’s just another expenditure that we can’t afford, then you’ve never watched your house float away while first responders are taking you by boat to a shelter. You’ve never watched your entire neighborhood burn to the ground. You don’t feel there’s any emergency, any urgency to help the residents of New Jersey alone, where 72,000 homes and businesses were damaged or destroyed and another 305,000 in New York?
If Congress passes the full $60 billion aid bill next week, they’re still too late. They’re last responders.
For those who believe that government should stay out of everything except defending our country, then let’s consider Sandy an enemy that attacked our Eastern seaboard.
Or did Grover Norquist get pledges against that too?
I’m Pat McMahon
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food