I rarely get angry at our congressional representatives in the House and Senate. What good would it do?
But I’m making an exception right now.
How dare they wait until the new Congress is sworn in to vote on the whole aid package for the East Coast victims of Hurricane Sandy.
If some of you think it’s just another expenditure that we can’t afford, then you’ve never watched your house float away while first responders are taking you by boat to a shelter. You’ve never watched your entire neighborhood burn to the ground. You don’t feel there’s any emergency, any urgency to help the residents of New Jersey alone, where 72,000 homes and businesses were damaged or destroyed and another 305,000 in New York?
If Congress passes the full $60 billion aid bill next week, they’re still too late. They’re last responders.
For those who believe that government should stay out of everything except defending our country, then let’s consider Sandy an enemy that attacked our Eastern seaboard.
Or did Grover Norquist get pledges against that too?
I’m Pat McMahon
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier