I rarely get angry at our congressional representatives in the House and Senate. What good would it do?
But I’m making an exception right now.
How dare they wait until the new Congress is sworn in to vote on the whole aid package for the East Coast victims of Hurricane Sandy.
If some of you think it’s just another expenditure that we can’t afford, then you’ve never watched your house float away while first responders are taking you by boat to a shelter. You’ve never watched your entire neighborhood burn to the ground. You don’t feel there’s any emergency, any urgency to help the residents of New Jersey alone, where 72,000 homes and businesses were damaged or destroyed and another 305,000 in New York?
If Congress passes the full $60 billion aid bill next week, they’re still too late. They’re last responders.
For those who believe that government should stay out of everything except defending our country, then let’s consider Sandy an enemy that attacked our Eastern seaboard.
Or did Grover Norquist get pledges against that too?
I’m Pat McMahon
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night