I rarely get angry at our congressional representatives in the House and Senate. What good would it do?
But I’m making an exception right now.
How dare they wait until the new Congress is sworn in to vote on the whole aid package for the East Coast victims of Hurricane Sandy.
If some of you think it’s just another expenditure that we can’t afford, then you’ve never watched your house float away while first responders are taking you by boat to a shelter. You’ve never watched your entire neighborhood burn to the ground. You don’t feel there’s any emergency, any urgency to help the residents of New Jersey alone, where 72,000 homes and businesses were damaged or destroyed and another 305,000 in New York?
If Congress passes the full $60 billion aid bill next week, they’re still too late. They’re last responders.
For those who believe that government should stay out of everything except defending our country, then let’s consider Sandy an enemy that attacked our Eastern seaboard.
Or did Grover Norquist get pledges against that too?
I’m Pat McMahon
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development