The numbers are out, and they’re not good.
According to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, only 37 percent of Americans approve of Obama’s handling of foreign policy overall, while 57 percent disapprove.
It’s an all-time low for Obama, and it’s obviously a result of the disaster in Iraq, in conjunction with the disasters that have been Benghazi, the Ukraine and Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
I would never argue that the president has handled any of these matters well. In fact, I would say the exit from Iraq has been handled as badly as the entrance was.
The Bush White House sold us “Shock and Awe” like it was a Hollywood action movie. And we LOVED it.
But when it came time to elect a successor, Americans were more in the mood for a romantic comedy. We elected a president who promised to get us OUT of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The problem is, we didn’t ask how. We didn’t care, apparently.
It’s a shame. Thousands of Americans have died in Iraq, and countless more Iraqi civilians have been killed in their own backyards, all in the name of liberating the country from a tyrannical past.
In June 2014, Iraq is quickly falling apart again to a terror network that makes al-Qaida look like a Disney princess.
And our White House doesn’t have a clue what to do about it.
We also didn’t ask about how the Unites States would handle security at our consulate in Benghazi, or how we would deal with an influx of illegal immigrant children in Nogales.
Maybe we need to ask better questions of our candidates instead of just hearing what we want to hear.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains