Research indicates children who don’t eat right and exercise are not accessing their full potential. One study found children who regularly missed breakfast scored lower on IQ tests than children who usually ate breakfast.
To help kids reach their highest potential, the Arizona Milk Producers are teaming up with the Arizona Cardinals for the NFL’s Fuel Up to Play 60 program. Spokesman Calais Campbell, Cardinals defensive lineman, notes the objective is to help children eat the right kinds of foods and to get 60 minutes of physical activity every day.
To help parents and children improve the nutritional value of their meals, the National Dairy Council worked with chefs, school nutrition directors and others to create breakfast recipes that would appeal to children. We will be covering several recipes throughout this series of articles.
Mega-Cheese Muffin – A nutritious breakfast muffin that’s chock full of cheese.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 box corn muffin mix; batter prepared according to package directions
- 1-1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, reduced fat, reduced sodium, shredded
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 eggs, large
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Coat 12 standard-size muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine muffin batter with Cheddar cheese, onion powder and garlic powder.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs until the yolks and whites are completely incorporated.
- Place 2 tablespoons of muffin-cheese batter in each tin, making a small well in the center.
- Place 1 tablespoon of egg in the well of the muffin-cheese batter in each tin.
- Top the egg with 1 tablespoon of the remaining muffin-cheese batter.
- Bake the muffins for about 15 – 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin center comes out clean.
For more flavor, a “ranch” seasoning blend of 1 teaspoon each dried dill, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil can be added to the batter.
• Cooked ground sausage can be used in place of whisked egg in the center of muffin. Use 1 tablespoon sausage per muffin. (“Ranch” seasoning not recommended when using sausage.)