Here are Arizona’s 10 deadliest stretches of road, all in metro Phoenix
Dec 13, 2021, 11:54 AM | Updated: Dec 14, 2021, 8:09 am
(Facebook Photo, File/Phoenix Police Department)
PHOENIX – Arizona’s 10 deadliest stretches of road are all in Maricopa County, with two on Indian School Road in Phoenix, according to an analysis of fatal crashes published earlier this month.
MoneyGeek determined that the 4.9 miles of 43rd Avenue from just south of Glendale Avenue to McDowell Road led the state in fatal wrecks for 2017-19, the most recent years for available data.
The next two deadliest stretches were both on Indian School Road, between 53rd and 91st avenues and between Third and 40th avenues.
Using the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Fatal Accident Reporting System database, MoneyGeek analyzed 2,745 crashes on the state’s 943 roadways, which span 146,465 miles.
The website found that speeding was the most common contributor to fatal wrecks in Arizona, at 31%, followed by drunk driving at 22% and distracted driving at 10%.
Here are the 10 deadliest stretches of Arizona road, according to MoneyGeek research published Dec. 2 (ranked by number of fatal crashes, with fatalities as tie-breaker):
- 1. 43rd Avenue, 4.9 miles between Lamar (south of Glendale Avenue) and McDowell roads, Phoenix: 22 fatal crashes, 24 fatalities.
- 2. Indian School Road, 4.9 miles between 53rd and 91st avenues, Phoenix: 20 fatal crashes, 20 fatalities.
- 3. Indian School Road, 4.5 miles between 3rd and 40th avenues, Phoenix: 16 fatal crashes, 16 fatalities.
- 4. McDowell Road, 4.6 miles between 36th Street and Scottsdale Road, Phoenix-Scottsdale: 12 fatal crashes, 13 fatalities.
- 5t. 19th Avenue, 4.7 miles between Shangri-la Road (north of Peoria Avenue) and Union Hills Drive, Phoenix: 12 fatal crashes, 12 fatalities.
- 5t. Northern Avenue, 4.7 miles between 19th and 56th avenues, Phoenix-Glendale: 12 fatal crashes, 12 fatalities.
- 7. Bell Road, 4.8 miles between 26th Street and 23rd Avenue, Phoenix: 11 fatal crashes, 14 fatalities.
- 8. Bethany Home Road, 4.6 miles between 12th and 35th avenues, Phoenix: 11 fatal crashes, 13 fatalities.
- 9. Thomas Road, 4.2 miles between 37th and 71st avenues, Phoenix: 10 fatal crashes, 13 fatalities.
- 10. Interstate 10, 4.9 miles between Exit 152 (40th Street) and Exit 157 (Elliot Road), Phoenix-Tempe-Guadalupe: 10 fatal crashes, 10 fatalities.