Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum named among top 10 zoos in the US
PHOENIX — The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum has been named one of the best zoos in the nation by USA Today readers.
The Tucson zoo ranked eighth on USA Today’s 2021 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards list of Best Zoos in the U.S.
The publication says the zoo’s blend of “a zoo, botanical garden, art gallery, museum and aquarium into a seamless and unparalleled look” make it a top destination.
Founded in 1952, the zoo features more than 200 animal species, thousands of plants species and one of the world’s most comprehensive regional mineral collections, according to its website.
A panel of experts partnered with USA Today’s 10Best editors to pick the nominees. The top 10 winners were then voted on and selected by the site’s readers.
The list’s top three zoos were the Fort Worth Zoo, the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden and Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Pima County to join rest of Arizona by expanding vaccine eligibility
- Appointments at Arizona’s state-run vaccine sites available Friday morning
- Mining company finds copper deposits on Santa Rita Mountains near Tucson
- Despite Ducey’s order, Pima County says mask mandate still valid
- Arizona parents arrested after fentanyl pills found hidden in child car seat