Share this story...
Latest News

Mesa police charge 2nd suspect with first degree murder for slain toddler

(Twitter Photo/Mesa Police Department)

PHOENIX – Mesa police arrested a second suspect in connection to an October shooting that left a 1-year-old dead and six others injured, authorities said on Tuesday.

Police have charged 31-year-old Chazmon Ray Washington with first-degree murder in connection to the Mesa shooting.

Washington’s list of charges also includes 28 counts of endangerment, four counts of aggravated assault of victims under fifteen years of age, two counts of aggravated assault for dangerous crimes against children and others.

Witnesses have identified Washington as the man involved in a physical altercation before the shooting occurred, according to authorities.

The incident took place Oct. 16 in a parking lot near Dobson and Guadalupe roads where families were gathered dining at food trucks.

Witnesses told police the suspects drove up in a white Kia Soul or box-type SUV around 9:30 p.m., and opened fire from the middle of Guadalupe Road.

Sebastian Duran, 1, and three other children and three adults were injured in the incident.

Duran died in a hospital Oct. 18 from his injuries in the incident.

Police previously arrested 29-year-old Larry T. Miller in connection to the case on Nov. 30. He was booked on one count of first-degree murder, six counts of attempted first-degree murder, 11 counts of endangerment, six combined counts of aggravated assault and drive by shooting, police said.

Mesa Police said there is more work to be done and more details will be released as they become available.

Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories