Share this story...
Latest News

Ducey: Arizona to up coronavirus precautions for at-risk populations

(KTAR News Photo/Peter Samore)

PHOENIX — With the spread of coronavirus continuing in Arizona, Gov. Doug Ducey said Monday that the state will take extra precautions for at-risk populations.

Ducey said he met with more than a dozen leaders of services that provide to vulnerable populations — such as nursing homes — earlier in the day in order to discuss what can be done to limit potential contamination.

The move comes after Arizona has seen six total cases — two confirmed and four presumptive — of COVID-19 since late January.

More than a dozen deaths in Washington state due to coronavirus have been linked to a nursing care facility.

“Coronavirus is our top priority right now,” Ducey said.

The goal of the effort is to keep those most at risk — especially those over the age of 80 — away from anyone who could have been infected by the virus.

Arizona Department of Health Services Director Dr. Cara Christ, who spoke alongside Ducey, offered several recommendations to limit risk for vulnerable people.

The state recommends that nursing homes and other elderly care facilities screen visitors for illness and limit the number of visitors.

Christ said the recommendation is similar to what the health department asks during flu season.

At-risk people also should consider avoiding events with large crowds for the foreseeable future, according to Christ.

The health department said a full list of reconmmendations and updates will be available on its website.

“We will continue to follow the facts,” Ducey said. “When I know something, you’ll know what we know.”

For Arizona vaccine information, visit azdhs.gov/findvaccine.

For all articles, information and updates on the coronavirus from KTAR News, visit ktar.com/coronavirus.

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories