Luke AFB airman shot, killed after Phoenix apartment break-in attempt
PHOENIX — An airman stationed at Luke Air Force Base was shot and killed Sunday morning while attempting to break into a Phoenix apartment, authorities said.
Senior Airman Cody J. Fryhover, 21, of the 56th Fighter Wing was shot by the tenant of the apartment near Seventh Street and Camelback Road at approximately 2:45 a.m., according to Phoenix police.
The tenant was woken up by the airman breaking a glass door screen in the back of the apartment and grabbed a gun, police said.
The airman was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police said the tenant remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators.
The tenant currently faces no criminal charges and the investigation is ongoing, according to police.
“Losing a member of the Air Force family is always difficult to come to terms with, no matter the situation, and I send my sincere condolences to Cody’s family and friends following this tragic situation,” Brig. Gen. Todd Canterbury, 56th Fighter Wing Commander, said in a statement.
No other details were immediately available.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Phoenix police looking for suspect in shooting that injured 4 people
- Girl, 16, dies after gun handled by teen boy fires, according to police
- Police seeking suspect in social club shooting that left 1 woman dead
- Suspect in Phoenix triple-shooting arrested on murder charge
- Glendale mayor wants people to show support for Westgate after shooting