Luke AFB airman shot, killed after Phoenix apartment break-in attempt
PHOENIX — An airman stationed at Luke Air Force Base was shot and killed Sunday morning while attempting to break into a Phoenix apartment, authorities said.
Senior Airman Cody J. Fryhover, 21, of the 56th Fighter Wing was shot by the tenant of the apartment near Seventh Street and Camelback Road at approximately 2:45 a.m., according to Phoenix police.
The tenant was woken up by the airman breaking a glass door screen in the back of the apartment and grabbed a gun, police said.
The airman was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police said the tenant remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators.
The tenant currently faces no criminal charges and the investigation is ongoing, according to police.
“Losing a member of the Air Force family is always difficult to come to terms with, no matter the situation, and I send my sincere condolences to Cody’s family and friends following this tragic situation,” Brig. Gen. Todd Canterbury, 56th Fighter Wing Commander, said in a statement.
No other details were immediately available.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- MCSO shoots, kills suspect who allegedly fired at Phoenix firefighters
- Phoenix firefighters shot at during break-in attempt at station
- Man accused of carrying gun that went off in West Valley Walmart
- Phoenix police say shooting victim banged on doors asking for help
- Yuma man among those injured in Texas shooting Saturday