PHOENIX — The just-finished month will go down as a pretty warm February in Phoenix.
Record-setting, in fact.
The average high of nearly 80 degrees was the warmest ever recorded by the National Weather Service.
The Valley averaged slightly below 66 degrees and had the earliest 90-degree day on Feb. 17, cracking the previous mark by seven days.
Phoenix had 20 days at 80 degrees or above during the month, creeping past the mark of 16.
The month closed with the warmest noted Leap Day at 88 degrees.
In addition to warm days, metro Phoenix went rainless in February for the seventh time.
Marvin Percha with the National Weather Service said March in the area will start with four straight days in the 90s, just in time for spring training.
Expected high for Tuesday was 90, Wednesday and Thursday were predicted to reach 91 and then a little drop Friday back down to 90.
Percha said those numbers were 15-18 degrees above normal. But that likely won’t stick around all next week.
“Early next week there’s a greater level of confidence that we see much cooler temperatures and a chance of rain,” he said.
It was all markedly different from January, when rain and thunderstorms pushed down temperatures in the Valley into the 50s.
And while rain was falling in metro Phoenix, snow was blanketing parts of northern Arizona. Flagstaff was covered in 2 feet of snow over two day early into the new year.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever