PHOENIX — The just-finished month will go down as a pretty warm February in Phoenix.
Record-setting, in fact.
The average high of nearly 80 degrees was the warmest ever recorded by the National Weather Service.
The Valley averaged slightly below 66 degrees and had the earliest 90-degree day on Feb. 17, cracking the previous mark by seven days.
Phoenix had 20 days at 80 degrees or above during the month, creeping past the mark of 16.
The month closed with the warmest noted Leap Day at 88 degrees.
In addition to warm days, metro Phoenix went rainless in February for the seventh time.
Marvin Percha with the National Weather Service said March in the area will start with four straight days in the 90s, just in time for spring training.
Expected high for Tuesday was 90, Wednesday and Thursday were predicted to reach 91 and then a little drop Friday back down to 90.
Percha said those numbers were 15-18 degrees above normal. But that likely won’t stick around all next week.
“Early next week there’s a greater level of confidence that we see much cooler temperatures and a chance of rain,” he said.
It was all markedly different from January, when rain and thunderstorms pushed down temperatures in the Valley into the 50s.
And while rain was falling in metro Phoenix, snow was blanketing parts of northern Arizona. Flagstaff was covered in 2 feet of snow over two day early into the new year.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- Man wanted in killings of couple waives extradition
- Coaches: Overuse injuries a growing problem in Arizona youth baseball
- Police chase robbery suspect in Arizona, police car taken
- Blue state or blue sky? Arizona Democrats hopeful for fall elections
- Arizona universities drawing in technology companies