Watch as Phoenix firefighters reunite woman, dog after house fire
PHOENIX — Phoenix firefighters were able to rescue two dogs from a burning home on Wednesday morning and reunite them with their owner.
The Phoenix Fire Department said it was called to the house near 27th Avenue and the Loop 101 after a detached shed had caught fire. Wind quickly blew the flames toward the home and ignited it.
Firefighters were able to get control of the flames.
Video of the reunion showed the sobbing owner being handed one of the dogs. Bystanders also came over to give the dog a scratch on the ears.
The homeowner suffered first- and second-degree burns on her arms and shoulders while she looked for her pets during the fire. She was taken to a hospital in stable condition.
The owner said she had five dogs. Officials were unsure if the other three ran off or died in the fire.
Fire officials were investigating, but Phoenix Fire Capt. Rob McDade said there were reports of popping sounds frequently associated with electrical shorts in the shed.
- Phoenix expected to reach high temperatures of 90 degrees Thursday
- Homeowner shoots armed man who refused to leave Phoenix home
- Phoenix police searching for suspect in 2012 homicide
- California-based chocolate factory to move location to Phoenix area
- Arizona dog currently up for adoption has long, unusual history