PHOENIX — Arizona ranked among 23 states across the nation that have enacted more laws that harm, rather than help, transgender people, a recent study from the Movement Advancement Project found.
Arizona is one of the states that does not have a state law protecting members of the LGBT community from discrimination. About four percent of Arizonans identify as LGBT.
But five cities in Arizona have approved ordinances that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity: Chandler, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tucson and Tempe.
Abby Jensen of the advocacy group Equality Arizona said she was not surprised by Arizona’s poor performance in the study.
“Arizona lacks protections for LGBT people in all parts of day life, both private and public,” Jensen said.
The study took into account laws that fall into six categories, including marriage and relationship recognition, adopting and parenting, non-discrimination and the ability for transgender people to change their name on identity documents.
While the state has many improvements to be made in order to protect LGBT individuals, Jensen admitted that Arizona does make it easy for transgender individuals to change their gender on their state driver’s licenses or IDs.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul lashes out at Sen. John McCain over ‘dictator’ comment
- Grand Canyon Railway ranked among most beautiful train rides in America
- Rain, rain, go away: Arizona fire department uses drone to capture post-storm beauty
- Supreme Court weighs case of Mexican boy slain across border
- Arizona bill aimed at cutting required auto glass coverage appears dead