Share this story...
Latest News

Toddlers hospitalized after ingesting marijuana edibles

(Yavapai County Sheriff's Office Photo)

PHOENIX– Two toddlers in northern Arizona have been hospitalized after ingesting edible gummies containing marijuana.

Francis Mendoza-Keel, who has a medical marijuana card according to his wife, was taken into custody by the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office. He was booked on two counts of child abuse for allowing the children to consume the edibles, according to a press release Thursday.

A daughter who is almost 3 is currently in the intensive care unit at Phoenix Children’s hospital, but her condition is improving. The 2-year-old daughter was kept in the hospital for observation and malnourishment.

The children’s mother, Ciara Mendoza-Keel, said she noticed her older daughter staggering and eventually collapsing.

They took her to the Yavapai Regional Medical Center where she was transported via helicopter to Phoenix Children’s Hospital.

Initial toxicology tests confirmed they both tested positive for THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana. The older daughter is believed to have ingested four 50 milligram marijuana Sour Rainbow Belts.

Francis said that one 50 milligram edible has a tranquilizing effect on him, and he’s 6-foot, 250 pounds. The almost 3-year-old is about 30 pounds.

Ciara said when she confronted her husband about their daughter’s condition, he admitted to knowing she had consumed an unknown amount of edibles.

Francis said he smoked two marijuana cigarettes before bed Tuesday. He also said that he wasn’t sure if he secured the rest of the marijuana before going to sleep.

The Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office and the Arizona Department of Child Services are still investigating the incident.

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories