Arizona reached its earliest 90-degree day on Wednesday, Feb. 17, and it comes as no surprise that climate change across years — and decades — is a worldwide phenomenon.
Every season is slowly getting warmer in every part of the lower 48 United States, with the exceptions of summers in the Dakotas and Iowa, according to this interactive map procured by Climate Central.
But depending on geography, weather patterns, location to water sources and other factors, each state has warmed over the course of decades in different ways. The season matters, too.
How fast is Arizona warming each season compared to the rest of the country?
Let’s take a look at the graphic above based on degrees of change per decade since the 1970s:
Winter: Arizona is warming during winter relatively slowly compared to the rest of the United States, ranking 44th. The states warming the most are all closest to the north pole.
Spring: The Grand Canyon State has warmed in spring more than any other state. Nevada, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico are right there with Arizona.
Summer: It’s only getting hotter. Arizona ranks eighth in warming rate during the summer.
Fall: Arizona ranks fifth in warming rate among the lower 48. A band of quickly-warming states stretches all the way down along the Rocky Mountain states from Canada. The northeast and Minnesota are also warming quickly in the fall.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- GOP health care bill will be devastating for Arizona kids, advocate says
- Celebrate National Burger Day with best bacon burger in Arizona
- Walmart announces 4,400 veteran hires in Arizona since 2013
- Mother Road Brewing Co. named most underrated brewery in Arizona by Thrillist
- Bashas’ announces finalists for doughnut flavor contest