Arizona reached its earliest 90-degree day on Wednesday, Feb. 17, and it comes as no surprise that climate change across years — and decades — is a worldwide phenomenon.
Every season is slowly getting warmer in every part of the lower 48 United States, with the exceptions of summers in the Dakotas and Iowa, according to this interactive map procured by Climate Central.
But depending on geography, weather patterns, location to water sources and other factors, each state has warmed over the course of decades in different ways. The season matters, too.
How fast is Arizona warming each season compared to the rest of the country?
Let’s take a look at the graphic above based on degrees of change per decade since the 1970s:
Winter: Arizona is warming during winter relatively slowly compared to the rest of the United States, ranking 44th. The states warming the most are all closest to the north pole.
Spring: The Grand Canyon State has warmed in spring more than any other state. Nevada, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico are right there with Arizona.
Summer: It’s only getting hotter. Arizona ranks eighth in warming rate during the summer.
Fall: Arizona ranks fifth in warming rate among the lower 48. A band of quickly-warming states stretches all the way down along the Rocky Mountain states from Canada. The northeast and Minnesota are also warming quickly in the fall.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- Hackers may have stolen Arizona jobseekers’ personal information
- The Latest: Multiple rounds of severe storms in US forecast
- Severe storms in forecast for US much of this week
- The Latest: Hail, powerful winds expected in Southern Plains
- Gov. Doug Ducey signs tax cut for airlines, at expense of Phoenix