PHOENIX — The next bright idea in renewable energy might be solar roads.
Inventor Scott Brusaw of Idaho has been working on a project to make roadways multi-purpose by replacing asphalt with solar panels.
He told ABC NewsRadio that the power that could be generated from solar roads is enormous.
“Just a 15 percent efficiency we (would) produce three times more electricity that this country uses on an annual basis,” Brusaw said.
Valley solar advocate Bret Fanshaw with Environment Arizona said he likes the idea.
“We should be powering Arizona with as much clean solar energy as possible and that means putting solar on our homes, schools and hey, why not on our roads as well?” Fanshaw said.
Replacing every road in the state, let alone the country, would be a massive undertaking and there are questions about the durability and weather resistance of the panels. However, the Associated Press reports Brusaw’s company, Solar Roadways, has already begun testing the panels and they are being used in the company’s parking lot at their headquarters in Sandpoint, Idaho near Spokane, Wash.
Fanshaw said he thinks if there is one place a technology such as solar roadways makes sense, it’s in Arizona’s nearly year-round sunshine.
“Spokane gets about 170 days of sun a year and Arizona gets 300,” he said. “So I think we have a lot of opportunity here to use a technology like this.”
Coupled with Arizona’s strong solar industry, Fanshaw said he hopes to see the technology become feasible and eventually implemented in Arizona.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development