PHOENIX — The next bright idea in renewable energy might be solar roads.
Inventor Scott Brusaw of Idaho has been working on a project to make roadways multi-purpose by replacing asphalt with solar panels.
He told ABC NewsRadio that the power that could be generated from solar roads is enormous.
“Just a 15 percent efficiency we (would) produce three times more electricity that this country uses on an annual basis,” Brusaw said.
Valley solar advocate Bret Fanshaw with Environment Arizona said he likes the idea.
“We should be powering Arizona with as much clean solar energy as possible and that means putting solar on our homes, schools and hey, why not on our roads as well?” Fanshaw said.
Replacing every road in the state, let alone the country, would be a massive undertaking and there are questions about the durability and weather resistance of the panels. However, the Associated Press reports Brusaw’s company, Solar Roadways, has already begun testing the panels and they are being used in the company’s parking lot at their headquarters in Sandpoint, Idaho near Spokane, Wash.
Fanshaw said he thinks if there is one place a technology such as solar roadways makes sense, it’s in Arizona’s nearly year-round sunshine.
“Spokane gets about 170 days of sun a year and Arizona gets 300,” he said. “So I think we have a lot of opportunity here to use a technology like this.”
Coupled with Arizona’s strong solar industry, Fanshaw said he hopes to see the technology become feasible and eventually implemented in Arizona.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy