PHOENIX — Valley public opinion researcher Mike O’Neil said there are no two sides of the Phoenix VA scandal and it has to be corrected as soon as possible.
“You don’t need PR people to fix it, the backlogs must be dealt with and they have to be audited in a way that we know it’s real,” O’Neil said.
Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki turned in his resignation to President Obama on Friday, shortly after firing the leadership at the Phoenix hospital.
At least 40 patients may have died awaiting appointments at the Phoenix medical center, where allegations of mismanagement, falsified records and cover-ups forced an investigation.
Similar issues have also been discovered at VA facilities across the country.
O’Neil said top brass profited with performance bonuses that were partially tied to wait times.
“The VA had a big backlog, so they created incentives for cutting the backlog. The problem when you do that is that you create an incentive to monkey with the system.
“The potential is there for trouble anytime you reward people by the numbers. What has to be done is examine how much protection to give whisteblowers. There was a whistleblower in this case (Dr. Sam Foote) but he was retired. Nobody currently working in the system stepped up.”
O’Neil said Shinseki had no choice but to resign once it became apparent that the problems with medical centers were not limited to Phoenix.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets