PHOENIX — An Arizona woman is taking the walk of a lifetime — just to enjoy the scenery.
Sirena Dufault, 40, began her 817-mile stroll March 14 near Sierra Vista. Her goal is to raise awareness and money for the Arizona Trail, she said.
“I originally got inspired by the Arizona Trail when I saw a map of the trail,” Dufault said. “On the map were all of these fantastic places like the Grand Canyon, San Francisco Peaks, Superstition Mountain, Saguaro National Park — and this trail connected them all.”
Dufault said she plans on completing the trek May 31 at the Arizona-Utah border. She said she spends about 10 hours a day walking, usually getting started around 9 a.m.
She estimated she’s alone about half the time, but has invited others to join her on her crusade to enjoy Arizona’s diverse scenery and raise $20,000 to maintain, protect and promote the Arizona Trail.
On Friday, a reception is being held for her at the Big E Steakhouse & Saloon near the Grand Canyon, where she’ll spend Saturday through Monday before moving further north.
She said she has no plans to take it easy on her stomach over the weekend just because she’s in the middle of a long jaunt.
“Are you kidding me? I’ve been hungry since about the second week of the hike, so I’ll be partaking for sure,” said Dufault.
You can learn more about the Arizona Trail or to make a donation, click here.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas