PHOENIX — An Arizona woman is taking the walk of a lifetime — just to enjoy the scenery.
Sirena Dufault, 40, began her 817-mile stroll March 14 near Sierra Vista. Her goal is to raise awareness and money for the Arizona Trail, she said.
“I originally got inspired by the Arizona Trail when I saw a map of the trail,” Dufault said. “On the map were all of these fantastic places like the Grand Canyon, San Francisco Peaks, Superstition Mountain, Saguaro National Park — and this trail connected them all.”
Dufault said she plans on completing the trek May 31 at the Arizona-Utah border. She said she spends about 10 hours a day walking, usually getting started around 9 a.m.
She estimated she’s alone about half the time, but has invited others to join her on her crusade to enjoy Arizona’s diverse scenery and raise $20,000 to maintain, protect and promote the Arizona Trail.
On Friday, a reception is being held for her at the Big E Steakhouse & Saloon near the Grand Canyon, where she’ll spend Saturday through Monday before moving further north.
She said she has no plans to take it easy on her stomach over the weekend just because she’s in the middle of a long jaunt.
“Are you kidding me? I’ve been hungry since about the second week of the hike, so I’ll be partaking for sure,” said Dufault.
You can learn more about the Arizona Trail or to make a donation, click here.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy