PHOENIX — An Arizona woman is taking the walk of a lifetime — just to enjoy the scenery.
Sirena Dufault, 40, began her 817-mile stroll March 14 near Sierra Vista. Her goal is to raise awareness and money for the Arizona Trail, she said.
“I originally got inspired by the Arizona Trail when I saw a map of the trail,” Dufault said. “On the map were all of these fantastic places like the Grand Canyon, San Francisco Peaks, Superstition Mountain, Saguaro National Park — and this trail connected them all.”
Dufault said she plans on completing the trek May 31 at the Arizona-Utah border. She said she spends about 10 hours a day walking, usually getting started around 9 a.m.
She estimated she’s alone about half the time, but has invited others to join her on her crusade to enjoy Arizona’s diverse scenery and raise $20,000 to maintain, protect and promote the Arizona Trail.
On Friday, a reception is being held for her at the Big E Steakhouse & Saloon near the Grand Canyon, where she’ll spend Saturday through Monday before moving further north.
She said she has no plans to take it easy on her stomach over the weekend just because she’s in the middle of a long jaunt.
“Are you kidding me? I’ve been hungry since about the second week of the hike, so I’ll be partaking for sure,” said Dufault.
You can learn more about the Arizona Trail or to make a donation, click here.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development