PHOENIX — For Valentine’s Day, one couple is reflecting on how volunteering for the Red Cross has kept their marriage strong.
Glen and Julie Bradley are American Red Cross volunteers who live in Lakeside, Ariz.
“If you can find something that’s outdoors and stimulating and fun and always makes you learn, that’s the trick,” Julie Bradley said. “Do things together, do things that you enjoy.”
The Bradleys were the first American Red Crossers on the ground in the Philippines after the deadly typhoon in December. They are returning to the Philippines this month for a second deployment.
“It was during Katrina where we wanted to do some pay back,” Julie said. “We felt like we’d been extremely fortunate and blessed in our lives.”
The Bradleys are on-call for the American Red Cross Grand Canyon chapter and have assisted in disaster response operations such as earthquakes, floods, fires, tornadoes, and hurricanes nationally and around the world.
They’ve traveled the world building emergency communications and computer networks for disasters from Katrina to the Philippines. The Bradleys said a shared passion for adventure and helping people cope during tragedies is the key.
“Just remembering that you’re only together because you want to be together,” Glenwood said. “And whenever you forget that, then I think maybe things aren’t as good as they could be.”
As for plans for this Valentine’s Day?
“We don’t normally adhere to the normal kinds of …” Julie began.
“Give card go to dinner kind of thing …” Glenwood finished.
“No, no we won’t be doing any of that,” Julie continued.
“Every day is Valentine’s for us,” Glenwood said. “We appreciated each other’s adventure genes from the start,
“We’re so, so lucky to have found each other,” Julie said.
They’ve been sharing adventures for 27 years.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food