PHOENIX — For Valentine’s Day, one couple is reflecting on how volunteering for the Red Cross has kept their marriage strong.
Glen and Julie Bradley are American Red Cross volunteers who live in Lakeside, Ariz.
“If you can find something that’s outdoors and stimulating and fun and always makes you learn, that’s the trick,” Julie Bradley said. “Do things together, do things that you enjoy.”
The Bradleys were the first American Red Crossers on the ground in the Philippines after the deadly typhoon in December. They are returning to the Philippines this month for a second deployment.
“It was during Katrina where we wanted to do some pay back,” Julie said. “We felt like we’d been extremely fortunate and blessed in our lives.”
The Bradleys are on-call for the American Red Cross Grand Canyon chapter and have assisted in disaster response operations such as earthquakes, floods, fires, tornadoes, and hurricanes nationally and around the world.
They’ve traveled the world building emergency communications and computer networks for disasters from Katrina to the Philippines. The Bradleys said a shared passion for adventure and helping people cope during tragedies is the key.
“Just remembering that you’re only together because you want to be together,” Glenwood said. “And whenever you forget that, then I think maybe things aren’t as good as they could be.”
As for plans for this Valentine’s Day?
“We don’t normally adhere to the normal kinds of …” Julie began.
“Give card go to dinner kind of thing …” Glenwood finished.
“No, no we won’t be doing any of that,” Julie continued.
“Every day is Valentine’s for us,” Glenwood said. “We appreciated each other’s adventure genes from the start,
“We’re so, so lucky to have found each other,” Julie said.
They’ve been sharing adventures for 27 years.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier