PHOENIX — For Valentine’s Day, one couple is reflecting on how volunteering for the Red Cross has kept their marriage strong.
Glen and Julie Bradley are American Red Cross volunteers who live in Lakeside, Ariz.
“If you can find something that’s outdoors and stimulating and fun and always makes you learn, that’s the trick,” Julie Bradley said. “Do things together, do things that you enjoy.”
The Bradleys were the first American Red Crossers on the ground in the Philippines after the deadly typhoon in December. They are returning to the Philippines this month for a second deployment.
“It was during Katrina where we wanted to do some pay back,” Julie said. “We felt like we’d been extremely fortunate and blessed in our lives.”
The Bradleys are on-call for the American Red Cross Grand Canyon chapter and have assisted in disaster response operations such as earthquakes, floods, fires, tornadoes, and hurricanes nationally and around the world.
They’ve traveled the world building emergency communications and computer networks for disasters from Katrina to the Philippines. The Bradleys said a shared passion for adventure and helping people cope during tragedies is the key.
“Just remembering that you’re only together because you want to be together,” Glenwood said. “And whenever you forget that, then I think maybe things aren’t as good as they could be.”
As for plans for this Valentine’s Day?
“We don’t normally adhere to the normal kinds of …” Julie began.
“Give card go to dinner kind of thing …” Glenwood finished.
“No, no we won’t be doing any of that,” Julie continued.
“Every day is Valentine’s for us,” Glenwood said. “We appreciated each other’s adventure genes from the start,
“We’re so, so lucky to have found each other,” Julie said.
They’ve been sharing adventures for 27 years.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night