Dave Ramsey says: Be creative but stick to budget for wedding
How do you have a wedding without debt?
It’s pretty simple — to have a wedding without debt you must be creative and think within your budget. In other words, you pay for a wedding with the money you have.
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a small, inexpensive wedding. Once you realize and understand that fact, and start thinking about things with a budget in mind, you’ll realize you can scrimp and save and still have a great small wedding.
Lots of people have beautiful ceremonies, and even small receptions, for well under $1,000.
Sure, you can go into debt by renting the fanciest venue, and buying a $9,000 wedding dress to wear for just a few hours on one day. Or, you can realize it’s not the place and the clothes that make a wedding special.
What about an outdoor wedding at a friend or family member’s house? When it comes to a dress you can opt for something simple and inexpensive, or even one that has been worn once, for just a few hundred dollars.
If you think that’s awful, let me tell you something that’s worse — going tens of thousands of dollars into debt for an event that lasts just a few hours!
Most people don’t have lavish, expensive weddings, and guess what? Years down the road they’re still happily married, very much in love, and they look back on their wedding as the best day of their lives.
- Dave Ramsey says: 4 things new college graduates should do to be money smart
- Dave Ramsey says: Woman not obligated to help pay for funeral
- Dave Ramsey says: Make time to take control of your finances
- Dave Ramsey says: Teach teen how to budget money sooner rather than later
- Dave Ramsey says: Stick with plan, start emergency reserves with refund