Daughter believes Trump is finished launching attacks on McCain
PHOENIX — The daughter of U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said she believes President Donald Trump is done launching attacks on her father, who is battling cancer.
“I don’t believe he would go there again,” Meghan McCain told Politico’s “Women Rule” podcast. “I don’t think at this point in his administration it would be beneficial to him in any way.”
Meghan McCain said she received a “very nice” call from Trump in the fall — a few months after her father’s brain cancer diagnosis was made public — and she seemed confident the president was through mentioning his military past.
“I don’t think he has obviously attacked him in a while, but when the news came out that he was apparently, allegedly making physical mockeries of my father’s war injuries…I was deeply hurt by it,” she said, referencing a September report from Axios.
The decision would mark a turn for Trump, who had verbally sparred with McCain for years.
The feud between the two men began three years ago, when then-candidate Trump insulted McCain’s war history. The senator was kept as a prisoner by North Vietnam for years after his plane was shot down.
Since then, the two have struggled to get along. McCain proved to be the deciding vote against the so-called “skinny repeal” of the American Care Act and has cautioned the president about his North Korea rhetoric.
Despite having been in Arizona since December to receive treatment, the senator has maintained a strong voice in the nation’s capital, including the introduction of a bipartisan immigration bill earlier this week.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Weekend wrap-up: Here are the biggest Arizona stories from Feb. 15-18
- Arizona legislators react to shutdown deal, pending national emergency
- Scottsdale Parada del Sol to honor John McCain in salute to heroes
- Arizona Democrats have mixed reactions to State of the Union address
- Arizona Republicans applaud Trump’s State of the Union address