Ten great Phoenix-area spots to grab a slice on National Pizza Day
PHOENIX — For all the Phoenix-area pizza lovers out there, Friday is the day you patiently wait for every year – it’s National Pizza Day!
Although birthed in Italy, pizza is now considered a staple American food item with many different styles and variations.
Chicago and New York are acknowledged as the pioneering leaders of the pizza industry, but Phoenix has been creeping up to the top and was ranked the best city in America for pizza last year, according to Travel and Leisure.
And given the city’s rise to the pizza pinnacle, it’s no wonder that Valley of the Sun residents were among the most likely in the nation to head into a local pizzeria when dinner time comes calling.
In fact, the city even had a special festival dedicated to getting some of the best pies around.
Sadly, this story isn’t all good news. You’re going to have to make some tough choices on Friday: Do you go New York-style thin crust or Chicago deep dish? What kind of toppings do you get? Should you order a side?
But there’s at least one thing on which we can all prety much agree: No anchovies. Blech.
Take a look at the gallery below to see some of the best places in Phoenix area for pizza.
- Tempe police looking for man accused of attempted kidnapping
- 3 Tempe schools briefly placed on modified lockdown
- Scottsdale rated second-best city in country for retirement
- Head of Phoenix DEA says opioid epidemic ‘has not yet peaked’
- Parts of I-10 in Phoenix to be restricted for South Mountain Freeway work