PHOENIX — Good news for those tired of seeing the so-called “hoverboards”: Grand Canyon University has banned the gadget from its campus.
Grand Canyon University spokesman Bob Romantic said officials decided to ban the toys due to several safety concerns.
“We have decided to ban the hoverboards on campus due to safety concerns, in particular fire hazards,” Romantic wrote in an e-mail. “Students have until spring break to return them to their homes.”
Grand Canyon isn’t the first university in the state to ban hoverboards from campus: University of Arizona banned the toy from on-campus housing on Thursday, according to student newspaper The Daily Wildcat.
More than 30 universities around the country have taken to banning the gadgets as well, citing warnings from federal authorities that some of the self-balancing gadgets have caught on fire.
Starting at 1:51, the hoverboard can be seen beginning to smoke, before completely catching on fire.
Airline companies Delta, American, United and JetBlue all banned hoverboards from checked or carry-on luggage last December due to the potential fire danger.
A hoverboard is being blamed for sparking a Santa Rosa, California, house fire on Tuesday, killing two dogs.
Officials said the fire broke out Tuesday in a girl’s bedroom where the hoverboard was being charged. Santa Rosa Fire Battalion Chief Mark Basque estimates the blaze caused $200,000 to $250,000 in damage.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Wildfires burned 75,000 acres in Arizona, but experts predicted more
- GCU spending $120 million on construction projects this summer
- Firefighter injured, 4 businesses destroyed in Phoenix strip mall fire
- Man run over by Phoenix Fire ambulance dies in hospital
- Memorial Day weekend was a busy one for Arizona forests under fire risk