PHOENIX — The weeklong bus strike in Phoenix has officially come to an end.
City officials said early Friday that drivers and the operating company had reached a tentative agreement.
Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1433 bus drivers voted Friday to approve a new contract with transportation leader Transdev by 85 percent.
Regular bus service will resume Saturday.
It’s official, Union has agreed to new deal. Services return to normal tomorrow.
— PHX Public Transit (@PhoenixMetroBus) January 15, 2016
In a statement, Transdev officials said they are pleased with the deal.
“We are very pleased that our operators overwhelmingly approved a new five-year contract,” the statement read. We look forward to getting our employees back to work and returning to 100% bus service tomorrow morning.”
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in a release he is glad the strike is over.
“I’m pleased that ATU and Transdev negotiators showed leadership and stayed at the table to find a way to common ground,” the release read.
The strike has interrupted services to 34 routes, many that run through the heart of the city.
On Thursday, seven days into the strike, it didn’t look as if a deal could be made. There had been little progress in the negotiations.
The drivers voted to strike on Jan. 7, after another round of talks with Transdev led nowhere.
If accepted, the new plan would last five years. It would also increase drivers’ wages by 14 percent.
Transdev operates 34 routes, including some of the city’s most heavily used.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Trump’s NAFTA termination comment falls flat with Arizona business leaders
- Report: Trump met with Flake’s prospective primary opponents at Phoenix rally
- Opinions split after Trump protest in downtown Phoenix
- Arpaio felt Trump would defy advisers, grant pardon at Phoenix rally
- Phoenix police chief gives officers A+ for conduct during Trump rally protest