ARIZONA NEWS

Phoenix on pace for one of wettest monsoon seasons in recent history

Aug 17, 2021, 10:53 AM | Updated: 2:58 pm
(Twitter Photo/@StreetsPHX)...
(Twitter Photo/@StreetsPHX)
(Twitter Photo/@StreetsPHX)

PHOENIX — Another round of storms Monday added to a monsoon season in Phoenix that is already one of the wettest since the turn of the century.

Phoenix has recorded 3.29 inches of rain since June 15, including 1.38 inches in August and .42 inches on Monday, according to the National Weather Service.

The total jumped the season to the third-wettest since 2000, trailing 2014 (6.34 inches) and 2008 (5.70 inches).

With a month to go until the official end of monsoon season and rain in the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday, Phoenix could creep its way toward the top 10 wettest since official recording began in 1896.

The 10th-wettest season happened in 1955, when 5.99 inches of rain was recorded. The most rain Phoenix has got in a monsoon season is 9.56 inches in 1984.

The rain is a welcome sight in Phoenix after back-to-back underwhelming monsoon seasons.

The Valley recorded 1 inch of rain in 2020 and .66 inches in 2019.

NWS said there was a 60% chance of thunderstorms overnight and 40% on Wednesday before temperatures climb back into the triple digits by the weekend.

We want to hear from you.

Have a story idea or tip? Pass it along to the KTAR News team here.

Arizona News

(Sunrise Park Resort screenshot)...
KTAR.com

Sunrise Park Resort to open for 2021-22 winter season next week

Sunrise Park Resort announced Sunday it plans to open the 2021-22 winter season on Dec. 10, a week later than the projected date.
8 hours ago
(File photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)...
KTAR.com

Arizona ranked as one of the least charitable states, per WalletHub

It's the season of giving but a personal finance website ranked Arizona as one of the least charitable states in the country.
8 hours ago
(City of Chandler Photo)...
KTAR.com

Tumbleweed Tree lighting, Parade of Lights to take place this weekend in Chandler

An East Valley holiday tradition is back in-person this year as event organizers prepare for the 65th annual Tumbleweed Tree lighting and the Parade of Lights on Saturday.
8 hours ago
(Photo by Ben Hasty/MediaNews Group/Reading Eagle via Getty Images)...
Associated Press

Flagstaff pauses construction of USGS facilities over rising costs

The city of Flagstaff is hitting pause on the construction of new buildings in partnership with the U.S. Geological Survey because of soaring costs.
8 hours ago
Americans are expected to spend an average of $886 on gifts this holiday season. Spending in Arizon...
SIMON WILLIAMS | CRONKITE NEWS

It’s beginning to look a lot like a post-COVID Christmas for vendors

In the second holiday season of the pandemic era, goods may cost more, but Americans have more money to spend – and they appear to be eager to spend it.
8 hours ago
(Facebook photo/City of Phoenix, AZ USA)...
KTAR.com

Weekend wrap-up: Here are the biggest Arizona stories from Nov. 26-28

Phoenix on Sunday having its first sub-50 degree low since March is among the biggest Arizona stories of the weekend.
1 day ago

Sponsored Articles

...
ENVOQUE MD

Thyroid issues: Here are the warning signs and what to do

In a 100-person office in the United States, an estimated 12 co-workers, employees and loved ones, will likely develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime. That’s because, according to the American Thyroid Association, more than 12% of the U.S. population will experience thyroid issues.
...
PNC BANK

How your family can explore the Musical Instrument Museum

Whether you want to spend a day with family, do crafts with kids at home, or have an adult night out, the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix has options. As the world’s only global musical instrument museum, MIM offers interactive and immersive exhibits to foster an appreciation of different cultures and their instruments. “A visit […]
...
PNC Bank

3 cool tips to turn everyday moments into learning experiences for your child

Early brain development has a crucial impact on a child’s ability to learn and succeed in school and life. Research has shown that 90% of a child’s brain is developed by age five.
Phoenix on pace for one of wettest monsoon seasons in recent history