Ducey shuts down bars and dine-in options in virus-affected counties
PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey on Thursday announced a series of executive orders, including shutting down bars and dine-in options in counties that have been affected by the coronavirus.
Ducey said that movie theaters and gyms would also be closed in those counties, and that restaurants will be able to deliver alcohol with food orders.
Seven Arizona counties have reported coronavirus cases, including Maricopa County.
“I’m announcing new steps to combat the spread of COVID-19,” Ducey said in a tweet. “These actions are based on the facts and on data, and come after careful consultation with public health experts from every county in Arizona, local elected officials and private sector partners.”
The action came after several Arizona cities — including Phoenix, Tucson, Tempe and Flagstaff — had enacted similar dine-in and bar bans earlier in the week.
U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, who has been pushing for stronger statewide restrictions, applauded the increased measure.
Sinema also called for Ducey to enact the restrictions in counties that haven’t been affected by coronavirus.
“Thank you to every city & county government that demonstrated leadership to take action and save lives,” Sinema said in a tweet.
Ducey also announced that he would activate the National Guard to assist grocery stores and food banks that face heightened demand due to coronavirus.
The governor also announced executive orders to focus on the halting all elective surgeries in the state to increase hospital capacity and to delay expiration dates on Arizona drivers licenses.
Arizona has reported 44 cases of coronavirus, including 17 news ones on Thursday.
For all articles, information and updates on the coronavirus from KTAR News, visit ktar.com/coronavirus.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.