2nd person in Arizona confirmed with presumptive coronavirus
PHOENIX – A second person in Arizona has been confirmed as a presumptive case of coronavirus, health officials said Tuesday.
A man in his 20s is recovering at home in Maricopa County, the Arizona Department of Health Services and Maricopa County Department of Public Health said in an email.
The patient is a “known contact of a presumed positive case outside of Arizona who had been to area with community spread of the virus,” officials said.
The man is in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery, the departments said.
The state’s Public Health Lab began testing for the virus Monday, the same day the county asked that the man be tested.
The state Public Health Lab still has to send the results to the Center for Disease Control for full confirmation.
“As far as risk to the public, we are still doing the case investigation of this individual, however, because we know when and where this individual was exposed, this does not represent community spread,” Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine said in a statement.
The medical director for disease control for the county health department added that most people who have come down with the virus have returned to good health.
The state health department has been monitoring 250 returned travelers for signs of the virus.
As of Tuesday morning, 32 Arizonans had been tested for coronavirus, with one positive result and 24 negative. Six lab tests were pending.
The first case, a member of the Arizona State University community, was a man who had been to ground zero for the outbreak, Wuhan, China.
He was isolated for nearly a month, from late January to late February.
The U.S. count of COVID-19 cases has topped 100, spread across at least 14 states. Nine people have died, all in Washington state.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.