Hazmat fire in Phoenix displaces 7 people damaging multiple homes
PHOENIX — A house fire in Phoenix quickly escalated on Saturday morning as it spread to multiple houses and took nearly 70 firefighters to extinguish the blaze.
The Phoenix Fire Department said that seven people and four pets were displaced as a result, but that no one was injured.
The fire extended to at least two houses before it was determined that there was an active gas leak in one of the homes.
Firefighters were able to contain the gas leak, which caused a hazmat component to the fire.
Multiple holes were also cut into the roofs of the homes for ventilation to help put it out.
The homes were located near Oak Street and 32nd Street, south of Thomas Road.
An investigation into the start of the fire is ongoing.
No further information was provided.
KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Gabriel Gamino contributed to this report.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Tanker rollover causes natural gas leak in Phoenix
- Near drowning sends 80-year-old Phoenix woman to hospital
- Phoenix firefighters seeing increase in structure fires as temperatures rise
- State Route 87 partially closed due to 5-acre brush fire
- More than 100 firefighters fight industrial fire near I-17, 19th Avenue