Hiker finds dead body on South Mountain in Phoenix
PHOENIX — Authorities in Phoenix recovered a dead body Wednesday after a hiker found it on South Mountain.
The hiker found the dead man on the Geronimo Trail, near 21st Street and Beth Drive, according to police. Crews then airlifted the body from the mountain.
Police identified the man Thursday as 35-year-old Douglas Hertel. His father had filed a missing person report for him on Jan. 11.
The body appeared to have been on the mountain several days before it was discovered, police said.
Police said the cause of death was unknown and the investigation was ongoing.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Phoenix hits record temperature for second consecutive day
- Weekend wrap-up: Here are the biggest Arizona stories from July 10-12
- 5 Arizona mayors call for bigger moves from Ducey to fight COVID-19
- 28-year-old man arrested in Phoenix apartment stabbing that left 3 dead
- City of Phoenix seeking public’s input on Climate Action Plan update