Man dead following officer-involved shooting in Mesa
PHOENIX — A 27-year-old man has died after an officer-involved shooting in Mesa on Saturday morning, authorities said.
The incident occurred around 8 a.m. near Alma School Road and the Loop 202 at a business, Mesa Police Detective Jason Flam told KTAR News 92.3 FM.
According to authorities, Garrett Ryberg was going through vehicles before business employees confronted him. During the exchange, the employees noticed he had a gun.
Once police arrived to the call, Ryberg was found hiding in a vehicle. When the officers approached him, police said, he pulled out a gun and pointed it at them. Officers then shot Ryberg, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
No officers or business employees were harmed in the incident.
It was the 33rd shooting involving law enforcement in the Valley this year and the third involving the Mesa Police Department, according to statistics compiled by KTAR News 92.3 FM.
KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Julie Levin contributed to this report.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Maricopa County seeking volunteer consultants for citizen review board
- Phoenix police release critical incident videos from 2 shootings
- James Garcia’s family wants Phoenix police to release all video of shooting
- Phoenix police release new video of officers fatally shooting James Garcia
- Family of man killed by Phoenix police says poor judgment led to shooting